Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar todos
nuevos mensajes

• Entrevista BJ Penn

The German MMA website 'Groundandpound' (www.groundandpound.de) recently posted an exclusive interview with K-1 MMA sensation BJ Penn, in which the Hawaiian fighter talks about his victorious career and reveals a dream: to fight the legendary Royce Gracie. ADCC News brings you to you the complete interview, translated from German. Check it out!

In your last three fights, it seemed like you were looking for a standup battle than for a ground fight. Has your basic approach changed or do you just enjoy slugging it out?

B.J. Penn: I just like to fight. Of course you know your opponents have different tendencies but I like to be good in all aspects and use all of them in fights.

First Rodrigo, then Renzo Gracie - is Ryan next for you now?B.J.: I don't really know who is next I am just taking some time off and waiting to see what happens.

How much of an advantage is it for you to fight in your home state in front of your home crowd? B.J.: It is very comfortable for me I can sleep so well at home. I believe it is a huge advantage.

What does your typical fight day look like? B.J.: Wake up and eat carbs all day. I eat soba noodles, Ezekiel bread and brown rice. I eat fruit and light meats like chicken or fish.

Your fights against the Gracies have been at middleweight - do you feel most comfortable at 185lbs? B.J.: I think I would like to get to 175. I want to look more lean.

At lightweight, six of your seven wins came prematurely. Can you still finish your opponents at the higher weight? B.J.: I definitely feel I can. The fights I had were with Gracies, you know how those type of fights will be. I feel Lyoto is a good fighter but he was tying me up on the ropes a lot.

Had PRIDE invited you to take part in their welterweight Grand Prix, would you have accepted the challenge? B.J.: Pride did not invite me as of now I am fighting with K-1 so I don't think I will be in Pride anytime soon.

If you got to pick a single opponent to fight - who would be your absolute dream matchup and why? B.J.: Royce Gracie because if promoted well it would be a huge fight all over the world.

You have fought both in a cage and in the ring before. What are the
    advantages and disadvantages in your opinion and what's your preference? B.J.: I have no preference they are both fine. There are so many differences in techniques that you would use for both. An example is that when taking someone down in the cage you are blocked with your hands against the fence sometimes. With the ropes your hands can go through the ropes to get their legs.

In May you have been in the news for allegedly striking a police officer. I hope this has all been cleared out in your favor...? B.J.: It is still in pending so I can't talk about it.

Are you a little disappointed that you haven't become as popular with the Japanese fans as you did with your supporters stateside? B.J.: I just never had a chance to fight a Japanese guy. When the time comes it will be ok.

Some of the American MMA media has turned sour on you for 'wasting your potential' because they feel you are not fighting the strongest opponents
    possible. What do you retort to those critics? B.J.: Who's the strongest? Is it all the guys that Hughes beat? The same media says I am crazy for wanting to fight Wanderlei Silva. That's the problem with these guys. They don't want to see a fight unless they think you can win. It's about stepping up and winning when nobody thinks you can.

Your Mixed Martial Arts Academy has helped almost twenty fighters making their pro debut. Who do you think has the biggest potential besides the already established Charuto and Cabbage? B.J.: Ross 'The Boss', Royden Demotta, Kaynan Kaku, Mike Aina and Shane
    Nelson but there are much more.

Did you regret the way things turned out with the UFC? Would you consider returning to the promotion if they offered you an instant title fight? B.J.: That is the only thing they could ask me to do. I wont work my way up when I am the real - you heard that Matt Hughes and Dana White - the real champ!

Do you have a message for your German fans? B.J.: This is amazing that I'm doing an interview for Germany. I'm so excited maybe I'll stop by and see what Germany's MMA is like. Thanx 4 all the support!
    To Perita Style
Trabajando...
X