Colapsar
X

• Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar todos
nuevos mensajes

• Entrevista Matt Hughes

[quote]Before Matt Hughes became a household name around the octagon ring of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the eight-time welter weight champion preferred a more traditional shape to compete on-a circle mat inside Lantz Arena.

And the 5-foot-8, 169-pound wrestler got a sample of the success he would later have in mixed martial arts and the UFC when he was a two-time All-American wrestler at Eastern.

"I never thought athletics would take me this far," Hughes, 33, said. "Maybe I would wrestle in college, but that was it."

Hughes didn't have much time for sports growing up. He lived on his parent's farm, and he said with all the chores around on the farm, his parents didn't have time to take him and his twin brother, Mark, into town for sports.

Matt and Mark did whatever two brothers would do in their situation-they competed with each other.

"We lived two to three miles away from the closest neighbor," Hughes said. "Eventually play turned into competition with me and (Mark)-whether it was chopping wood or running out to the mailbox."

When Matt entered high school and began playing sports more, the impact was immediate. He qualified for the Illinois state high school wrestling tournament all four years a Hillsboro High School, including an undefeated junior and senior year where he won the state championship, and was an all-conference football player as well.

After high school Hughes wrestled at Belleville Community College and when the wrestling program was cut after his freshman season he transferred to Lincoln Junior College, where he was an All-American.

Eastern head coach Ralph McCausland first found out about the Hughes brothers from a former teammate, Dave Klemm, who ran the program at Lincoln. But McCausland nearly never got the chance to coach who he called "one of the hardest workers" he had seen in 25 years of coaching.

The Eastern wrestling program was cut from the budget after the 1995 season, McCausland began helping the Hughes brothers get on the team at Northern Iowa but when the program was reinstated in 1996 they jumped at the chance to wrestle closer to home.

"The potential was incredible (when Matt first came to Eastern)," McCausland said. "There's guys that are strong, that can put up a lot of weight, and then there are guys who are powerful, and in all my years, Matt personified power.

"He can put up a lot of weight but there is something unique about him- something uncanny and as he says, even to himself, he's kind of a freak of nature in the power ratio."

Just like in high school, Hughes made his presence felt immediately. Wrestling in the 158-pound division, Hughes took 8th place at nationals his junior year and 5th place his senior year.

"From the first day he came he was a natural leader. He's a kind of a take charge guy 'Let's get it done and get it taken care of,'" McCausland said. "As far as work ethic goes bar-none I don't think I've had anybody who has worked as hard and as an intense and as long of a duration as he could."

That's one thing that Hughes, who's now a coach on the reality show The Ultimate Fighter on Spike TV, learned wrestling under McCausland.

"A lot of what I do comes from a wrestling background," Hughes said. "People don't realize the mental toughness (in what I do) as much as the physical part."

After Hughes graduated he came back to Eastern as a graduate assistant coach and took up mixed martial arts as a way to stay competitive. McCausland remembers Charleston police officers coming and working with Matt on submission holds. A friend, Chris Dwyer, got Hughes to fight for the first time, a match in Chicago with a $100 purse.

Hughes began training with a friend, Pat Miletich, in the Quad Cities and after his sixth fight Hughes was asked to fight overseas and his career has taken him to Hawaii, Australia, Japan and the Persian Gulf.

"I think this was something that (Matt) was just gonna play with and follow it-find out where it leads him," McCausland said. "He's got 8 world championships, a video game, endorsements from Polaris and some other sponsors and got spun off on this reality TV show as one of the coaches.

"You know he's not flamboyant, he's just Matt."

Matt admitted that he had no idea the success the mixed martial arts would bring and remembers what his early days were like.

"It used to be if you talked about the UFC nobody knew about it," Hughes said. "Now if you mention it in a room, most people will know what it is.

"The reality show blew it wide open
    To Perita Style

Entrevista Matt Hughes

Bastante "sencillo" el tio ¿no?
    Por lo q dicen la fama no se le ha subido demasiado a la cabeza y tiene unas pretensiones de lo más normales.
    Parece un pequeño Fedor :D

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

Es autentico. un luchador total entrena superduro y un tipo sencillo y lo mejor cuando se presentó en un UFC con una canción de country.. inmejorable

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

a mi no me cae nada bien pero bueno es muy buen luchador y lo esta demostrando

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

¿Alguien se acuerda de Mark Hughes, el hermano de Matt?

Tenia un record de 6-1 perdiendo solo una vez y por decision minima, pero segun sherdog no ha vuelto a pelear desde 2003, ¿alguien sabe si se retiro o que paso?

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

NI IDEA SABIA DE SU EXISTENCIA PERO NI LE HE VISTO LUCHAR

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

Yo tampoco.. la verdad..

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

Sale muchas veces en su esquina, esta cuidando de la granja (no es coña).
                To Perita Style

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

yo vi su lucha contra alex stiebling y lo hizo muy bien, la verdad que el mismo juego que su hermano, buenos tackles buena defensa delas sumisiones y excelente G&P

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

Otro al que no se le ve el pelo en grandes eventos, Alex Stiebling. Tuvo su momento y encadenó 4 derrotas y se apagó...y eso que no era nada malo, tenia buen grappling y nadie podia finalizarlo.

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

vaya patadon le metio anderson en toda la geta......y contra akira soji pedazo de 2

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

Si "The Brazilian Killer" ehehe
                        To Perita Style

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

yo me quedo con the hammer killer

Comentario

Entrevista Matt Hughes

Lo de la granja me lo creo, en algunos reportajes sale matt hughes con un peazo de pick-up que quita el sentido al lado de una granja...jajaja

Comentario

Trabajando...
                            X